There is no controlling that heart of yours – when it decides to give itself up to someone, it takes you along for the ride whether you like it or not. And that ride can often be a brutal process that leaves your mind warped and your soul in pieces.
I’m not really selling romance here, but not everyone is lucky enough to fall for someone free, single and equally into you.
We’ve all been through all of this at least once – that crushing procedure of falling for someone that you just can’t have.
1. That initial stomach flutter – what is this weird little dance going on in your gut when you look at this person? This hasn’t happened before.
2. The realisation – oh, sh*t, you serious? You’re really falling for THEM? This will be awkward.
3. The self denial – you give yourself a shake and laugh at yourself for even considering the possibility that this out of bounds person is in your thoughts.
4. The guilt – okay, that wasn’t as easy as you thought. And now you feel like utter dirt for having these thoughts. Well played, heart.
5. The awkwardness – now that you’ve acknowledged where this is going, every subsequent contact with this person becomes excruciating. You can’t even look them in the eye any more.
6. The avoidance – the only obvious step is to blatantly keep out of their way. Out of sight, out of mind, right? RIGHT!?
7. The social media stalking – wow, you never realised how many profile pictures they actually had. Must. Not. Click. Like.
8. The looking elsewhere – look, brain, let’s be logical. There are plenty of other fish in the sea. Give me your best, Tinder.
9. The sleepless night – well, that dream was weird. People can’t feel it when you dream intensely about them, can they?
10. The drinking to forget – Jagerbombs, make this go away. A night out with your BFFs is the only way to sort this out.
11. The drunken text – one more shot and you might have hit send. And then life would have been over.
12. The confession to Reddit – Anons, help a bro out? Give me your harshest advice. Why are you only noticing the guy who says go for it?
13. The inner strength – half way through the process, you decide you’re adult enough to push this away and get on with life.
14. Hanging out with them again – you have spent almost five minutes back in their company and…
15. …the pain returns – not as strong as you thought, eh?
16. The Metro Rush Hour Crush moment – submitting that helped a little bit – but did you make it too obvious? Let’s hope they don’t read the Metro. Who are you kidding? EVERYONE reads the Metro!
17. Dropping clues – getting careless now – that Reddit guy obviously got to you. Your forbidden crush might start to pick up on your signals – do you care anymore?
18. The confession to someone close – you’re breaking and you need to get your BFF or *shudder* even your mum in on this dilemma. They say the right things.
19. The acceptance – you can never, ever go there with this person. This is finally hitting home.
20. The fleeting stirring – it gets easier after the acceptance, although they often creep back in to your head without warning.
21. The dating game – all’s well, you’re sitting opposite a new suitor and you have only thought about that crush three times this hour. That’s a new record.
22. The recovery – you might start a relationship, you might just play the field but gradually, you start to emerge out of the dark pit of unrequited desire.
23. The test – you might go looking through those Facebook pics again to see how much they stir in you. If you can confidently ‘like’ one as a friend without feeling any guilt, you’ve won.
24. The relief – OMG it’s finally over. Now to concentrate on your new bae.
25. That odd thought – just ignore those weird moments in bed where bae’s face morph’s into that former crush. That’s normal. Honest…